Wednesday, December 7, 2011

AN ANGEL NAMED ANGELINA | IPSWICH FAMILY PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHER

As most of you know, we have just completed a very successful event called "Show You Care With A Teddy Bear" where we collected $1500 worth of toys in lieu of session fees for October and November, that we have donated to the Mater Little Miracles.  We have also donated ONE full Digital Session per month to the Mater Children's Hospital, who hand pick a family that a) might never afford a family portrait due to heavy medical costs, or b) just may never think of it.  So this very deserving family was hand picked by the staff of the Mater Children's Hospital to receive a Family Portrait Session with me valued at $1000.

I took a long drive up the range to Toowoomba to Photograph Angelina and her Family at their home.  When I was given the contacts for the family, I was only told that Angelina had an appearance deformity, but still didn't know what to expect.  So after speaking with Kerry, Angelina's mum, I learned that she has Crouzon Syndrome, which can be genetic or arise as a new condition in the family.  There are many facts on the Internet explaining how, and why and provide a better understanding of Crouzon Syndrome, so I will leave that up to the experts.  All I know is that Angelina is "different" she didn't come in the "shiny packaging" of typical newborn babies,  she will and has already undergone lots operations to help with the many symptoms of the syndrome, affecting her skull (jaw, eyes, ears, nose and throat).   Yes, Angelina is visibly "different", but oh my, she feels, she loves, and she cares, just like any 2 1/2 year old.  I thought just like any other little girl, she would love to dress up, so I took along all of my studio props and dress-ups, and she LOVED them!! The little Tinkerbell outfit was her favourite and of course she loved the magic wand.  (if only life was as easy as waving the magic wand) To say the least, I was moved by Angelina and her family's courage, bond and clear love that they have for each other, she is one of 7 children, 2 sisters and 4 brothers.  I especially loved the interaction Angelina has with one of her sisters, they share a very special connection.

One thing that really struck me while speaking to Angelina's mum, is that, at 2 1/2 years old, she is already aware that she looks different, that she is looked at differently by society and by other children, this broke my heart, she sometimes even covers her face with a blanket, to hide from people staring, and making her feel uncomfortable.  After recently having a healthy baby, this really gave me a reality check!!  This gorgeous little soul has and will continue to endure hurdles of not only society, but her health.  It makes me sad, but I light of all of this, Angelina's mum said "she is here to educate people about Crouzon, and what an angel she is"  Meeting her and her family was a light in my life that will certainly help keep my reality in check.

Here are Angelina's very special Family Portraits, I just hope that Angelina and her family enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them.  I will never forget meeting Angelina, she now holds a very special place in my heart.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,
but rather recognizing and appreciating what we do have" 
~Fredrick Keonig


For a little bit of an insight into one very brave ladies life who has Crouzon Syndrome, click the link below (I have not taken these images or published this slideshow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5TIUgyKIFo


PS. I love feedback, you are more than welcome to comment below :)

4 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Sam! -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are an amazing person with a big heart.... She is Beauitful little girl no matter what.... I dislike when they stair that really makes me mad... Loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has made me think and really look at what we have. What a beautiful family and beautiful pictures Sam. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Mummy with an "extra special" child, THANK YOU Sam for helping educate people about accepting Children who are different. Thank you for helping to make "different" children feel accepted and beautiful xo ~ Kym

    ReplyDelete